Date:      Wed, 17 Mar 1999 20:57:24 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
To:        Stefan Reinauer <stepan@suse.de>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: faked BSD disklabel to boot from SRM

On Wed, 17 Mar 1999, Stefan Reinauer wrote:

> Hi,
>
> sorry, I know that this may not be the right place to ask such questions
> but this list is afaik the only one whose readers may have the knowledge
> to answer my questions.
>
> The Alpha SRM console needs a BSD disklabel in the first block with an
> offset of 64 and a bootstrap in the following 8k to boot from a disk.
>
> Now I have a disk with an MSDOS disklabel from which I want to boot. I
> thought of having an MSDOS disklabel in the first 512 bytes (it isn't
> moveable) and a BSD disklabel in block 1 or later, similar to how this is
> handled on ia32 machines.
> The problem is, that SRM console won't boot from a disk with a disklabel
> in the second sector (at least it is so, if my patched bootstrap writer
> didn't do anything wrong)
>
> Is there any other method to make SRM console think it can boot from an
> MSDOS disklabel disk? Or do you have a theory how this could be done?
>
> If I left out any neccessary data, please tell me.
>
> Thanks for your time and help.

I thought about this too a long time ago.  Unfortunately the fields in the
first sector which SRM uses to point at the bootstrap overlaps with the
MSDOS partition table.  It just isn't possible to make a disk bootable
from both SRM and AlphaBIOS (which is why I wanted to do it).

--
Doug Rabson				Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com