Date:      Sun, 5 Dec 1999 23:34:25 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
To:        joe@pavilion.net (Josef Karthauser)
Cc:        ben@scientia.demon.co.uk (Ben Smithurst), matt@S02.ARPA-CANADA.NET (matt), FreeBSD-Stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Little whois patch.

> On Sun, Dec 05, 1999 at 03:27:15PM -0800, Rodney W. Grimes wrote:
>
> > No, I haven't used it, I don't do much day to day production work from
> > the 4.x-current playpen box.   I'm heading that way now to take a look
> > at it and probably smash it onto my production desktop box if it does
> > what you say it does.  This latest set of changes to all the whois stuff
> > has me a bit in an uproar, with NSI and the RA screwing around with output
> > formats all in the same month breaking lots of little shell scripts for
> > me my life has been misserable.  :-(  At least with RA I just had to
> > smash in a ripe181 to get the old format back until I can update the
> > tools to rpsl :-)
>
> I'm interested in your comments.  I'm trying to tie up all the
> outstanding PRs against it, and then I'll merge into -stable.

A couple of quick comments, first run some queries on IP addresses
only, this use DTRT for ARIN registered addresses, it now returns
useless output, and doesn't even point you at anything useful.

Second, NIC handle quieries don't work, try \!rwg25.

It has far too many options for doing specific registries, granted this
is probably better than having to know -h whois.ripe.net or
whois -h whois.apnic.net.

A lot of this could probably be fixed by fixing data at whois-servers.net,
but without further digging into the code and yet another whois server
dataset I can't really say.

I can say I don't like having:
#define NICHOST         "whois.crsnic.net"
#define INICHOST        "whois.networksolutions.com"
#define DNICHOST        "whois.nic.mil"
#define GNICHOST        "whois.nic.gov"
#define ANICHOST        "whois.arin.net"
#define RNICHOST        "whois.ripe.net"
#define PNICHOST        "whois.apnic.net"
#define RUNICHOST       "whois.ripn.net"
#define MNICHOST        "whois.ra.net"
#define QNICHOST_TAIL   ".whois-servers.net"

that much hard coded DNS data in a binary.  A better architecture needs
to be found.  What is the IETF planning to do about this?  Things are
getting out of hand in a hurry and finding the right data is getting
harder and harder as each day go's buy :-(.

I have no problem with an MFC, this code is no more and perhaps even
slightly less broken than the code thier now.

--
Rod Grimes - KD7CAX @ CN85sl - (RWG25)               rgrimes@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net