Date:      Tue, 21 May 2002 22:56:56 +0100
From:      "Jean-Mark Dupoux" <jeanm@dupx.freeserve.co.uk>
To:        daniel@guitar.ro
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   re: AHA1540A

> Hi! I recently installed (NOT) FreeBSD 4.5 on a 2Gbit hdd with an AHA 1540A
> SCSI adapter.
>
> I booted from the install cdrom, everything worked fine until i got the
> following message:
>
> Giving 15 seconds to the SCSI adapter for <god knows what> -> i can't
> remember it quite well.. :(
> and afterwards like 10 lines with this message:
>
> AHA 1540A detected: compensating
>
> Next thing was the computer froze (i mean it did nothing else from now on).
> CAPS-Lock/SCROLL lock/NUM lock worked , also did alt+ctrl+delete (which i
> successfuly used to reboot the beast)
>
> I would appreciate any help possible
>  (with a beer/milk and life gratitude)
>
> Dan Caescu

Hello Dan

Sorry if you already had an answer for this, but I couldn't find one in the list

It looks like a plain hardware problem to me:
bad termination, bad SCSI ID assignment, bad cables or bad disk

What should happen after the <Waiting 15 seconds for SCSI dvice to settle> is the
boot message continues reading up the screen, first of all listing all the devices on
the AHA1540, then what's  left of the hardware

unless of course you were booting off CD attached to  the AHA1540 to begin with ?

jeanmark
jeanmark@dupx.freeserve.co.uk