Date:      Fri, 20 Jun 1997 07:35:06 +0200
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        adam@veda.is (Adam David)
Subject:   Re: getty modem control

As Adam David wrote:

> 1. Would anyone be terribly upset if I added modem string grabbing support
> to getty? This would be useful for logging caller ID and connect speed.

Yep, i'm very reluctant to such things in the regular getty.  The
reason for this reluctance is that you gotta abuse the inbound port.
Normally, the inbound port is supposed to block inside open(2) until
carrier arrives.  I understand that your intended changes would break
this (as well as David Nugent's changes broke this, see below).

If you need mgetty, better use mgetty.  There's no use to invent a
second all-singing all-dancing getty, i'd be more happy to keep the
standard getty reasonably small, more targeted towards regular needs
and non-broken modems.

> 2. I've been trying to use the modem init stuff on FreeBSD 2.2.2 getty.
> DTR lights up but there is no flicker on TXD. After this attempt I can
> no longer access /dev/ttyd0 or /dev/cua00, 'cu' refuses to open the port
> (no light on DTR) because "Line in use".

That's already one of the problems i've been afraid when i've been
objecting against _any_ modem initialization handling back when David
Nugent added it.  Fixing all the related programs to chatting with a
modem will become an endless mess.  I really don't think this should
go into a regular getty, or after some time, we'll end up with yet
another mgetty.  This is silly, will bloat the regular getty, and is
nothing but a duplication of (Gert Doering's in this case) efforts.

Non-broken modems do work with a lightweight getty.  Broken modems
(and i figure the entire class of modems that is allowed in Australia
belongs into this class) requires special hacks which should IMHO be
left to special programs.

If you don't agree on this, please agree on forking off the old
(pre-David N) getty as ``getty-light'', so i could continue to use
this version then.  I refuse to use broken modems anyway, and i don't
need the creeping featurism.  (Not meant as a personal offense, but as
a general statement.)

--
cheers, J"org