Date:      Wed, 7 Aug 1996 21:52:01 +0100 (BST)
From:      neil@netclub-lon.com (Neil Fowler Wright)
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   3Com Etherlink III 3C509 netstat -r rproblems

Hi,
        I have got FreeBSD up and runnign successfully, but I cannot get it to
talk to the Local Network.

We have a P166 with an Adaptec SCSI Driver and a 3COM Etherlink III card.
Origionally there was an IRQ collision between the two cards, but using the
3C905 Network Interface with an IRQ of 8 both now come up successfully.

The system will come up and define the routing table, but it will not
communicate across the Twisted-Pair connection to any other machines via
the Hub. The hub will also not light up to say there is a valid link.

The machine (kaneda) IP is 194.74.216.2 and the router (corpex-gw) has an
IP of 194.74.216.254, which are both configured in the /etc/xxxconfigs
together with the appropriate Netmask.

The machine has to be successfully accessing the card, because netstat -r
retruns valid data for the machines ethernet address.

Destination     Gateway         Flags   Refs    Use     Netif   Expiry
default         corpex-gw       UGSc    9       0       ep0
localhost       localhost       UH      0       0       lo0
194.74.216      link=A32          UC      1       0
kaneda          0:a0:24:9d:70:8f        UHLW    3       147     lo0
corpex-gw       link=A32          UHLW    10      0

note initially (just after boot) the last line is as follows.

corpex-gw       link=A32          UH      10      0       ep0     1
but it expires to the above.

I have several questions, but I would alos appreciate some general comments
where this problem has been encountered before (as is evident on the
Mailing List Archive), but I can see no fixes listed there..

What does UHLW mean in the above?
What does link=A32 mean in the above?

Do I NEED to change my network card?

Is there a configuration in the kernel I can change that will solve the
problem, or a patch, or have I missed a configuration setting.

Note: The cable is fine, and the card is fine, when tested in another (Win95=
)
machine.

Many Thanks for any assistance you can give me.

                Neil