Date:      Wed, 07 Oct 1998 00:37:45 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        Werner Griessl <croot@btp1da.phy.uni-bayreuth.de>
Cc:        Scott Wilson <sevn@mindspring.net>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: qt-1.40 hosed?

> On 06-Oct-98 Scott Wilson wrote:
> >
> > I just cvsupped and did the make world thing recompiles the kernel
> > rebooted, etc. That all went really smooth. Good job guys.
> >
> > I'm running 3.0 current a.out on a pent pro 200 single processor.
> >
> > 2940 UW.  Cam is working fine, although things seem slower.
> >
> > I cd'd to /usr/ports/x11/kde and did a
> >
> > make install clean
> >
> > and this is what happened:
> >
> > ld: /usr/lib/c++rt0.o: No such file or directory
> > mv: rename libqt.so.1.40 to ../lib/libqt.so.1.40: No such file o
> > gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/ports/x11-toolkits/qt140/work/
> > cd tutorial; gmake
> > gmake[1]: Entering directory `/usr/ports/x11-toolkits/qt140/work
> > l'
> > cd t1; gmake
> > gmake[2]: Entering directory `/usr/ports/x11-toolkits/qt140/work
> > l/t1'
> > g++ -L/usr/ports/x11-toolkits/qt140/work/qt-1.40/lib -L/usr/X11R
> > n.o  -lqt -lX11
> > ld: -lqt: no match
> > gmake[2]: *** [t1] Error 1
> > gmake[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/ports/x11-toolkits/qt140/work/
> > /t1'
> > gmake[1]: *** [t1] Error 2
> > gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/ports/x11-toolkits/qt140/work/
> > '
> > gmake: *** [tutorial] Error 2
> > *** Error code 2
> >
> > Stop.
> > *** Error code 1
> >
> > Stop.
> > *** Error code 1
> >
> > Stop.
> > *** Error code 1
> >
> > Stop.
> >

> > I tried uninstalling and reinstalling all the relevant stuff, going so far
> > as to remove the distfiles:
> >
> > qt-1.40
> > gmake-3.77
> > Mesa-3.0
> > XFree86-3.3.2
> > jpeg-6b
> > giflib-3.0
> >
> > No dice. After playing with this for about 8 hours, including trying to
> > modify the MakeFile, I'm stumped. I didn't want to bug the maintainer
> > because I'm not 100% sure that I'm not doing something stupid, so I
> > figured I'd bug everyone else. ; )
> >
> > TIA
> >
> > Scott Wilson
[.....]
> Hi Scott,
>
> Had the same problem yesterday !
> I was only able to build kde with the egcs-port installed.
> Parts of kde seems to use /usr/local/bin/gcc instead of /usr/bin/cc .
>
> Werner

I created the kde ELF patches on a machine that now is completely ELF
except for netscape & xmaddressbook (I don't have motif).

The machine has *never* had /usr/local/bin/gcc - I've never built any
versions of gcc/egcs since the machine was bought.

I didn't actually do the qt & Mesa ports myself, but I'd be doubtful
if the problems came from the *lack* of an installed egcs....

WRT uninstalling/installing stuff, I've uninstalled everything on my
machine from the top down, and re-installed (after E-Day) from the
bottom up.... but I guess that's the only way to do it !  The really
big show-stopper is when a non-elf installation has been done and you
try to install dependant elf code.  It doesn't see the libs, so it
does a make install of the necessary port and the install fails 'cos
it already exists.

But the error above looks like it was done before the qt port was
elfified.....

      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;