Date:      Thu, 11 Sep 1997 09:39:09 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith)
Cc:        mike@smith.net.au, gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu, perhaps@yes.no, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PnP support

> > > Please, if you are going to do this, go back to the discussion that
> > > came up last time on this topic, most particularly the allocation and
> > > attachment strategy that Stefan and I discussed.  Doing this job
> > > half-assed is just going to mean that it will have to be done again.
> >
> > where was it discussed ? I do not remember having seen this on
> > -hackers, although I brought up the subject in july (specifically about
> > the attach returning or not an error value) when I started working on
> > PnP.
>
> Ironically, I found most of my record of this thread in a folder with
> your name on it.  8)

you are right, it's just that it did not end up in any actual
implementation. Also you promised to send me some documentation on
Doug R's work and probably both forgot, and the discussion died :)

> The most succinct extract I have on the "new" model reads :
>
>  ---8<---snip---8<---
>
>  - gather all the information :
>         PCI probe
>         PnP probe
>         get ISA config (compiled in, datafile, etc.)
>         get PCI/PnP identifier tables (compiled in, bootloader, etc.)
>
>  - attach PCI devices
>         I/O ports and IRQs are assigned by the PCI rules.
>  - attach PnP devices
>         IRQs are taken from the free pool left after PCI assignment and
>         those marked for 'legacy' use.  I/O ports are probed as per the
>         PnP spec.
>  - walk ISA config data, probe possible devices
>         We know which IRQ and I/O resources are still available,
>         we can hunt for devices that match the gaps.
>
> I think it's important to leave the 'legacy' devices until _last_, as
> this prevents a PnP device being accidentally recognised as a 'legacy'
> device.
>
>  ---8<---snip---8<---
>
> This was generally accepted (I think Stefan had a few claraifications
> on it) as being the "most effective" way of going about it.

yes unfortunately it requires changes in both the isa and PCI
probe/attach sequence which are not under my jurisdiction, that's why I
followed a different but compatible approach.

> See also the thread "Backwards compatibiliy for isa_driver" on -current
> around mid-May for Doug R's work, which should definitely be taken
> seriously.

I'll look into this.

> I realise, and your work to data alone has been greatly appreciated;
> don't make the mistake of thinking I'm trying to put it down!

not at all, and I hope I have not given the impression of not accepting
criticism. As a matter of fact I find criticism the only way to avoid
making mistakes :) and hope everybody on this list does the same.

In many messages I received lately, containing different views on
various topics, the poster seemed to feel compelled to apologize
for their opinion being different from mine :) Thanks for being so
polite, but it's really not necessary, I have the highest esteem
of all of you guys.

	Cheers
	Luigi