Date:      Fri, 5 Nov 1999 01:54:56 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
To:        Tom Sparks <bifrost@itixs.com>
Cc:        nm <nmanisca@vt.edu>, Javier Henderson <javier@KJSL.COM>, alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Tru64 Unix for $99

On Thu, 4 Nov 1999, Tom Sparks wrote:

> > I think you're wrong, there.  I think Digital had the same relationship
> > with AT&T (far predating the Unix selloff) that Sun has, which means *NO*
> > royalties.  Sun sells Solaris7 at $10 for a deal that is much like this,
> > but I do see a difference:  Compaq (according to the web page) is tossing
> > in a full set of developer tools; Solaris7 comes free and clear of any
> > such helpful things :-(.
>
> If this is the case, then its pretty well worth it for $100.

I wrote above, $10, not $100.  Ten.  I know, I bought one.  What a
horrible experience not having source code was!

> Chances are it'll come down in price anyways. Anyone remember when Solaris
> 2.5 was available for $99 to 'student' ?

You ought to go buy a copy, then.  Public, $10.

> Just remember, be glad Sun includes header files with their
> distributions. With IRIX you had to *buy* them with the developers kit.
>
> For $100 you get a Compaq optimized compiler (apparently much better than
> GCC/EGCS), headers, libraries, and who knows what else.
>
> Wait a couple months, it'll be out there for $50 to students/etc

Chuck Robey                | Interests include C programming, Electronics,
213 Lakeside Dr. Apt. T-1  | communications, and signal processing.
Greenbelt, MD 20770        | I run picnic.mat.net: FreeBSD-current(i386) and
(301) 220-2114             |       jaunt.mat.net : FreeBSD-current(Alpha)