Date:      Mon, 13 Aug 2001 21:33:21 -0400
From:      "Doug Reynolds" <mav@wastegate.net>
To:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
Subject:   RE: Network throughput

On Sun, 12 Aug 2001 23:10:47 -0700, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

>  I hate to disagree with you here but DSL service is delivered over
>POTS lines that are generally buried in a 50 or 100 (or often much
>higher) cable binder that is in no way shape or form anywhere NEAR
>CAT-5, or even CAT-3 for that matter.  The 50-100 feet of wire he has control
>over is going to be less than 1% of the total cable run of the average DSL
>installation (about 7K feet)  It makes absolutely no difference what CAT-level
>the cable is going to be as long as there is some light twisting in the pairs.
>Remember this isn't Ethernet that we are talking about.

oh I agreed.  I've popped open more than pick-terminal that didn't meet
any standard at all, except for maybe the yarnball standard.  the only
reason i suggest CAT5 is because a lot of houses i goto have anywhere
between 14 and 24 jacks  that home run from the garage, and are at
least 200 feet long.  20 x 200 is 4000ft of wire that are stapled in
place.

>  As far as interference goes, generally the average DSL cable PUTS OUT a lot
>more interference than anything else your going to run into.  In fact this is
>one reason that Qwest has dropped CAP encoding (such as used in the Cisco 675)
>and gone totally to DMT encoding (such as used in the Cisco 678) because they
>were finding in cable binders that contained many CAP DSL circuits that in
>some cases the circuits were actually interfering with other types of service
>in the same cable binder.  This isn't publicized very much but it's buried in
>the Qwest documentation.

it doesn't surprise me, but i am a pots tech, and dont run into more
than one dsl line every once in a while

>For ADSL there are 6 critically important things that MUST be followed:
>
>1) Distance of the entire run must be under 18000 feet.  (actually, you can
>train at greater distances than this, but the training speed will be so low
>that you may as well use a modem)  This of course is the length of the cable
>run, not the "as the crow flies" distance.

that i do know, what kind of speed would you get at 18k ft?  just
curious, that is how far i am from the co.

>2) The entire run MUST use the same guage of wire.  A guage change creates an
>impediance mismatch at some of the higher DSL frequencies that will harm
>throughput.  This is often seen at ancient drop leads that come in from the
>outside Telephone Pole to the house - back in the old days the phone company
>sometimes used big, thick, copper-plated steel wire for these.  Today, modern
>drop leads are all the same guage and they run fiberglass cables along with
>the pure copper pairs for strength.

I've seen 60k dls w/ 618k dsl, on old 18 gauge single pair.  I don't
know how much that is followed, or how it affects it.  most cables are
24gauge in my area, and the drops are 22gauge.

>3) There must NOT be any unterminated sections of the cable (ie: Bridge Taps)
>teed off of the main cable.  Note that a homeowner can create bridge taps in
>their home that will be just as bad as the ones the Telco creates.

hehe..  you'd be surprised, really.

>4) There must not be any load coils or other inductive loads in the circuit.
>(such as an extra 30 feet of cable wound up into a loop somewhere, or a
>ferrite bead on the cable somewhere, or passing through a "surge protector" or
>some such)

yeah, most long cable runs here have a lot of load coils down here.
they also have a lot of lightspanned boxs, and PG boxes over here,
which according to the production techs i've talked to say that they
still havent figured a way to switch dsl through them.. i find that
hard to believe with fiber.. i could see it being a problem with copper
though.

>5) There must be zero or as close to zero ohms connection resistance at all
>punchdowns or other cable connections.  (screw terminals, etc)

regular pots lines need that too, but not as bad.

>6) There must be no connections from either side of the pair to ground, or to
>other pairs.

that goes for anything- have a tip to gnd or ring to gnd short, you'll
have a little hum to no dialtone, depending how bad it is.

>One thing he needs to do immediately is call the Telco and get ahold of a
>DSLAM tech.  Modern DSLAMS have testing circuitry and you can do shorted and
>open pair tests on the pair that will discover most of these problems.
>(assuming the DSLAM tech knows what they are doing)

most splicer techs where i work carry good fluke meters to test for
that.

---
doug reynolds | the maverick | mav@wastegate.net