Date:      Thu, 19 Aug 2010 12:28:08 -0700
From:      Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
To:        Gonzalo Nemmi <gnemmi@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: well, i guess it's time to ask.....

On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 10:38:20PM -0300, Gonzalo Nemmi wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 10:10 PM, Gary Kline <kline@thought.org> wrote:
> >
> > ok guys,
> > i have been waiting for [a] a better/faster/more generally useful
> > computer as well as =mostly= cheaper unit.  i figured i would wait
> > until fall to ask, but it's close enough.
> >
> > can i watch a streamed movie on am atom [[[1.6ghz intel]]] chip.
> > i have trouble on my 2003 dell that has a 2.4ghz cpu.  it has plenty of
> > ram, disk, etc.  so i've hesitated.   on my 3.0gh thinkpad, streams fly
> > flawlessly.  So if i buy one of the notebooks with a 7" - 10" screen,
> > can i use it for things other than a text-to-speech computer?
> >
> > how thrifty | cheap should i be?  i'd like to buy the optical device
> > rather than install via one of those stick memory devices.  i have
> > never used anything but the disc.  i think it is at least two hundred
> > bux more, but if it is a must, then so be it.  i've looked for am atom
> > notebook fo r < 200 bux. pretty hard to find, so are there any places i
> > can trust?
> >
> > i saw an A9 tablet with some kind of keyboard that might work as a
> > speech computer.  this is my real goal, leaving shit and shinola
> > behind.  but i'm not sure that a tablet would be as useful as a
> > notebook.
> >
> > RESt of the story: i'm using the kde ktt* along with the festival
> > speech toolkit.  i also have vi/nvi or vim set up with around 125 abbrv
> > so that people who type slowly can be more efficient.
>
> Way OT .. but it just hit me that some folks could benefit from that
> "vim set up with around 125 abbrv" if you posted somewhere ;)

	sure thing!  i can put it up onmy bsd.thought.org page---if i
	still have that site.  the backstory is pretty short.  years before
	i tore up my shoulder, typing wasn't exactly =easy= so i used the
	'abbrev' functionality of the original vi and added ~130 or so
	of the most freq english words [ plus computer-geek jargon ].

	the stats showed that the average person could save about 31% of
	his time if he memorized this list.  130-150 words was the drop-off
	point.  i.e., memorizing 160 abbreviations might save 31.9% or
	whatever it was.  i gave up on this project after an almost-new
	SCSI drive crashed (nov, '99).  my tape backup overwrote itself.
	my BAD.

    And so it goes...........