Date:      Thu, 20 Apr 2000 12:32:03 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jim Flowers <jflowers@ezo.net>
To:        Erwan Arzur <erwan@netvalue.com>
Cc:        itojun@iijlab.net, Muhammad Najib <najib@kdu.edu.my>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: VPN using IPSec

I spent quite a bit of time investigating the interaction of Skip tunnels
with NAT and was finally able to configure just about every possible
combination.  The technique lies in trapping the inbound processed
packets (unencapsulated, authenticated, and decrypted) with an ipfw rule before
they are processed by the divert rule and trapping the outbound packets
similarly (different rule).  In both cases the rules select on
destination addresses (look carefully) and interface and you should
have one-pass set so that ipfw stops processing when a rule is matched.
Nomads (individual hosts with dynamic IP addresses) are a little different
but can also be handled if you know how.

While I have not studied the FreeBSD implementation, the only
requirement I see for this technique to work just as well with IPSec is
that IPSec processing be conducted between the interface driver and ipfw (Skip
is shimmed between the driver and the IP layer).

I'll be glad when you guys get the bugs worked out on a stable IPSec and
a suitable key administration strategy.  I feel like the Lone Ranger
using Skip (which does everything I want to do with VPNs).

Additional information can be found on my posts to freebsd-security by
searching for skip AND nat.

Jim Flowers <jflowers@ezo.net>
#4 ISP on C|NET, #1 in Ohio