Date:      Tue, 10 Jul 2001 07:24:06 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Kid Mamey <kidmamey2k@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Problems with my FS

I really need help related to my filesystem. During
startup fsck tell me that I
need to run it manually, running manually I get the
following output:

ad0: HARD READ ERROR blk# 8775024 status=59 error=40
cannot read: BLK 2096896

and also

HARD READ ERROR blk# 8775028 status=59 error=40
the follow disk sector could not be read read: BLK
2096900

My questions are:

1.-Is there any way I can patch these blocks without
formating?

2.-Does formating the filesystem repairs the damage?

3.-Right now I'm running in read-only FS mode. Is
there a way I can copy my data into some
other partition(changing the fs mode), say my windows
partition before formating and also how can I mount
the other partitions in the fstab?

4.-My cd-rom is via pcmcia, can I make it boot for
installation, or booting with the installation
diskettes detects it and gets all I need?

thank you

Gerardo Amaya