Date:      Sun, 18 Mar 2001 11:07:40 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mike Wright <mcw@grove.ufl.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   DEFPA supported?

I've just done a fresh install of 4.2 to test FreeBSD on an internal FDDI
backbone.  I've modified the GENERIC configuration by adding these
two lines

	device		fpa		# DEFPA
	pseudo-device	fddi		# DEFPA

The kernel seems to rebuild without error, though I've noticed that there
isn't a /modules/if_fpa.ko file as there is for the Ethernet card.

When rebooting, I see these messages on the console:

	fpa0: <Digital DEFPA PCI FDDI Controller> irq 10 at device 15.0 on pci0
	fpa0: driver is using old-style compatability shims

The card is installed and connected, however, any attempt to use ifconfig
to configure it results in the message

	ifconfig: interface fpa0 does not exist

What more needs to be done to have the device recognized?

Thanks

Mike Wright
University of Florida
mcw@ufl.edu