Date:      Tue, 3 Aug 1999 19:06:44 -0600
From:      Oscar Bonilla <obonilla@fisicc-ufm.edu>
To:        Gregory Carvalho <GregoryC@stcinc.com>
Cc:        Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans@razorfish.com>, Oscar Bonilla <obonilla@fisicc-ufm.edu>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PAM documentation

On Tue, Aug 03, 1999 at 03:19:08PM -0700, Gregory Carvalho wrote:
> I am extremely interested in leveraging PAM to use LDAP for user
> authentication, and LDAP for other services as well. PADL Software
> (http://www.padl.com/) has developed pam_ldap and nss_ldap. I have not
> used LDAP on FreeBSD. Has anyone used these on FreeBSD 3.2 Release or
> later?

The pam_ldap module compiles and installs (with minor tweaks) in FreeBSD.
The problem is that since FreeBSD lacks a Name Service Switch (NSS) the
PAM module authenticates the user but leaves him with no UID to username, etc.
mappings whatsoever. We need to have a way to tell all of the get*ent
functions in the C library to get their info from something besides files
(LDAP would be great).

I've started work on porting the NSS implementation from NetBSD to FreeBSD.
I've "imported" the nsdispatch function to the C library but have not started
making the get*ent functions aware of the new nsdispatch function. I'm
still studying the code and gathering opinions on the best way to do it.
There are some concerns about the ability to still make static executables
(for stuff like /stand and /sbin) which apparently Solaris lacks.
Other concerns are about having a dynamic load system a la libpam to be able
to further add nss modules without having to mess with the C library.

You're welcome to help :)

Regards,

-Oscar

--