Date:      Mon, 07 Dec 1998 21:27:57 +0900
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   FICL

I just learned about the addition of FICL to FreeBSD, I decided to
resubscribe (for a while, at least) to -current just to discuss this.
I should have expected: I had to distance myself from both FreeBSD and
Forth for a while and look what happens! :-)

Ok, my two cents, though I still haven't read all the archive:

> On Sat, 31 Oct 1998, Mike Smith wrote:
>
> I stripped LOCALS, multithreading, stack checking, but added KEY... Well,
> this is still around 20k.
>
> > whether there's much we can strip from the core wordset; I'll leave
> > that for the FORTH guruen to argue over.  At 22k (plus whatever it
>
> As I said above, we probably can strip CORE-EXT and SEARCH - I wouldn't
> touch the CORE itself, however.

I have yet to check out how the source is being handled, but I here is
my possibly irrelevant comments. I'll strive to get up to date before
adding any more cents to the vending machine, though... :-)

CORE can be stripped. There is a lot of words in ANS' CORE that are
reduntant. Here, CORE represents more legacy than anything else.

But I'd like this system to remain ANS in it's FreeBSD distribution.
What is necessary for that is that *the source code for the words
remain available*. I don't recall the specifics, but I think this
refers to source code for the running system, instead of C source
before generating FICL.

In other words, you can remove, for instance, OVER from the base
system, as long as you provide ": OVER SWAP DUP ROT ;" somewhere as
source code reference for it.

I'd have to check out the source, but it might well be possible (and
easy) to create a word which would print the minimum required
vocabulary, if such a beast one would be wanted.

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
dcs@newsguy.com

	You can't modify a constant, float upstream, win an argument
with the IRS, or satisfy this compiler