Date:      Tue, 2 May 2000 23:12:29 -0700
From:      Jan Koum <jkb@ethereal.net>
To:        "G.B.Naidu" <gbnaidu@sasi.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to take a dump...

this really belongs on -questions, but.. in /etc/rc.conf you put:
dumpdev="/dev/ad0s1b"
or /dev/da0s1b or whatever your swap partition is.

swapon (not "swap on") is for setting up swap. you probably want dumpon.
if you have dumpon alread enabled, try this and check the output:

$ sysctl kern.dumpdev
no dumpon turned on -> kern.dumpdev: { major = 255, minor = -65281 }
dumpon turned on -> kern.dumpdev: { major = 116, minor = 131073 }

soooooo, first command you want to type is:

$ man dumpon swapon savecore

-- yan