Date:      Tue, 24 Nov 1998 12:12:53 -0800 (PST)
From:      Chuck Grimes <cgrimes@tsoft.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: multiple OSes

Multiple OS's:

There are two (at least) ways to do this. The first uses multiple
partitions on the same hard drive, and the second uses separate hard
drives. I use the two drive version. Both require re-writing the master
boot record--the address the BIOS reads to boot the OS. The other way
is use a boot floppy since the BIOS is usually configured to read drive
A (the floppy) and then drive C (hardisk). If Win98 is installed on
drive C, then the BIOS reads that MBR first. So, you have to re-write
that MBR AND the hard drive with FreeBSD. First BIOS reads the MBR on
drive C, and since that now contains a MBR you just re-wrote with the
little program for selecting which OS to use, you get:

F1   DOS

F1  default

and about five seconds to hit the F5 key:

F1  FreeBSD

The next time you boot F1 reads FreeBSD, loading default... and you
do nothing. If you want to go back to load Win98, you F5 again and the
same process starts only this time F1 is re-set to F1  DOS.

Main point, the MBR has to be on both drives, so that you can boot off
either one you select. Second point, install winblows first, then
install FreeBSD with the re-write of the MBR. If you screw up, you can
recover the DOS boot record by using fdisk off a DOS floppy (bootable
floppy, with io.sys and msdos.sys) to re-install the DOS MBR.

For more detail check the tutorials at:

http://www.freebsd.org/tutorials/multios/multios.html

Chuck Grimes,

wondering if anybody knows the answer to my printing
problem.

-------------Original message follows----------------------
I am curently running Win98, but I would like to run freeBSD as well.
As
I understand it, there is a utility that will let me slect which OS to
boot into on start up that comes with freeBSD. Please tell me more
about
this. Thanks!

C/1LT Timothy Smith, CAP
tim_j_s@hotmail.com