Date:      Tue, 15 Jun 1999 19:05:20 -0700
From:      notme <notme@lvdi.net>
To:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   FreeBSD + Samba to substitute Netware

Hi,

The following is kinda a opinion question...
    I am just wondering if it would be wise to substitute a Netware
server with FreeBSD + Samba.  I have setup a FBSD server during
last semester for my high school. (We got some new PCs, and
Apple AIX sever no longer can serve)  We are planning to get Net-
ware this coming school year (1999-2000), and I am wondering if
there is a way, or if it wise to continue using FreeBSD instead. (Since
everything is setup, and I have shell script to add all users. :)

    Basically, we only do file serving (we don't even have e-mail), and
we have Foolproof for security in Windoze.  We currently have
3 labs of 40 PII 350s, which I found FreeBSD to have no problem
serving...  We also have several hundred Apple G3s, and if I'm
correct, Netatalk will allow FreeBSD servers to communicate with
Macs.

    I believe one of the main reason we're approaching Netware is for
its
security. (Correct me if I'm wrong, but there is a logon procedure for
Netware clients, right?)  But I am wondering, if there is ports similar
to Netware's. (the Client-server relation, logon... stuff like that)

I personally have not experience with Netware, and of course, I do
not know its ability.  However, I much prefer the FreeBSD since I
have much more experience with it.

Thank you in advance for any opinion!

Frankie