Date:      Fri, 21 Feb 1997 10:15:10 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        lars.falch@dbergstrom.dk
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Installation?

On Fri, 21 Feb 1997 lars.falch@dbergstrom.dk wrote:

> I am going to download the installation files via FTP, and then
> install the system from an ms-dos partition - but I am unsure
> of which directory I should download, because I noticed that if
> I download the entire 2.1.17-RELEASE directory I would get the
> same files several times?

This directory will be huge.

FreeBSD File Requirements:

REQUIRED:
	floppies/boot.flp (boot floppy image)
	tools/rawrite.exe (DOS bootfloppy image writer)
	bin/*

RECOMMENDED:
 	manpages/
	compat*/
	doc/  	(at your discretion)
	src/ssys.*

> And the latest version is 2.1.17, right? I am not interested in
> beta-code.

2.1.7, yes.

> I have some experience with Linux (mostly slackware
> distributions), so I hope that the step to FreeBSD isn't that
> big - and the FreeBSD distribution comes with complete XFree86,
> right?

Yes, in XF8632/.

Be aware that FreeBSD's setup philsophy is completely
different from Linux, so avoid the temptation to do things and look for
things the way you did for Linux.