Date:      Wed, 18 Apr 2001 17:48:19 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        tedm@toybox.placo.com (Ted Mittelstaedt)
Cc:        rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in (Rahul Siddharthan), djohnson@acuson.com (David Johnson), freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Windriver, Slackware and FreeBSD

> >Consider the following scenario: Apple has a patent on some very
> >low-level algorithm, but doesn't tell people.  (They do claim a patent
> >on theming, so why not on some OS-related thing?)  Their people (no
> >doubt well-meaning) contribute it to FreeBSD.
>
> The second that an Apple employee formally contributed patented source
> to FreeBSD, it would tremendously weaken the Apple patent to the point
> where it would impede it's enforceability.

Not really.  What weakens a patent is distribution of an
embodiment of the patent under license, since it grants rights to
use the patent, unless they are explicitly disclaimed.

In other words, if I put a patented algorithm (let's call a spade
a spade here, and not try to call it a process) in code, and stuck
a particular license on it, if I had the rights to do that with
the patent, it would weaken the patent by the amount that the
license permitted use of the patented algorithm.

If I didn't have the rights to do that, and was acting on my own,
I've granted absolutely no license.

For example, SQUID uses algorithms which IBM claims to have patent
rights to, and IBM goes out of its way to not ship SQUID with any
of its products (going so far as to make Whistle rip it out of the
InterJet II and replace it with Apache's cache).

The Apache cache contains some of the same algortihms, but because
there is no grant of license to the source code when you purchase
the product, there is no grant of license to use the patent, and
IBM is OK with that.

> >It gets into -current,
> >then into a stable release, becomes well entrenched into the OS.  Then
> >the legal people at Apple decide that FreeBSD has no right to
> >distribute this patented stuff for free, and threaten to sue.
>
> It would take a couple years before becoming well entrenched, and if Apple
> waited that long before doing anything about it, the patent would be
> virtually unenforceable.  Anyway, FreeBSD already went through this
> with AT&T.

A patent is not like a Trade Secret.  It is enforcible until it
expires.

An historical common practice was to file for a patent, but not
execute on the filing until someone came along and actually
figured out a way to make money from what was patented.  When
that happened, the execution occurred, and the patent was then
good for 7 or 14 years from date of issue.  This was expanded to
17 years by treaty with Europe and other countries, which have
absurdly long patent durations (a gamble that they can come up
with a basic technology, and regain their status as superpowers,
apparently).

Such patents are called "submerged patents".  They don't surface
until someone starts making money off the idea, and then the
company that surfaces them demands a cut of the profits (they
start by demanding all of the profits, and negotiate from there).

Recently, the term of patents was changed to 20 years from date
of filing, rather than 17 years from date of issue, in an attempt
to "deal with" submerged patents (once again, Europeans caused
the length of term of a patent to be extended).

These days, companies just keep information to themselves (the
U.S. allows patents upt to 1 year following publication, but no
more than that, and by treaty, the WIPO respects these delayed
patents internationally).  When someone starts to make money,
that person usually files a patent, then the company that had
the information does the same, and demonstrates "prior art",
thus stealing the patent via trade secret prior art, so they
really haven't gotten rid of submerged patents, what they've
done is forced companies to be less forthcoming in their data
publication (exactly the opposite of the intent of the basis of
intellectual property law in the U.S. Constitution).

In any case, what this boils down to is that they could sue
anyone using FreeBSD who happened to end up having deep pockets,
and collect for any use of the patented algorithm up to 20 years
minus one day from their filing date, unless you could demostrate
that they themselves licensed the patent to you.

P.S.: The reason for the nominal fee on the source licenses from
SCO and Sun is to ensure that the license is valid and limited
by contract, since a valid contract requires the exchange of
consideration.  This is the same argument that UCB used to yank
the Net/2 distribution as part of the USL/UCB settlement
agreement, since if you did not pay for the distribution, there
was no consideration, and without the consideration, they could
void the license, even if there were no explict contractual
clause permitting voiding.

P.P.S.: This is also why Apple insisted on paying a token amount
to UCSD for rights to use their P-system.  When UCSD decided that
it had value and removed it from distribution, they were unable
to voide Apple's license, since consideration had been given to
UCSD for Apple's license.  Apple still has the only non-revokable
license to the UCSD P-system.  Unless you count JAVA as the
successor to it, of course.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---