Date:      Tue, 16 Feb 1999 20:16:52 -0500 (EST)
From:      Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, mbeger@integration.ab.ca
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Server in a mixed Mac and PC environment.

> The company that I work for offers some business and Internet solutions
> using FreeBSD.
> We would like to know if FreeBSD will work as a file server in mixed PC
> (WIN95) and MAC office envirnment. There seems to be some question as to
> the ability of the file server to read MAC files and MAC's being able to
> read other files from the file server. An example of the file types in
> question are Adobe Pagemaker and Photoshop. If anyone can tell me if this
> solution is possible, please email me at mbeger@integration.ab.ca
>
> Thanks
> Mark

If you set up your MACs to read PC files (i.e. IPX stuff), then
FreeBSD can export the files via samba - just like it does to a PC.
That is, to the MAC, the FreeBSD box will appear to be a PC server.

But - there's another approach.  FreeBSD supports appletalk.... I don't
know what the status of that is.  I have heard people have been successful
with that.

With the combination of AppleTalk and Samba - FreeBSD would seem like a
wonderful choice in that environment...

	- Dave Rivers -