Date:      Tue, 18 Apr 2000 23:57:57 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
To:        mar28 <michael@home.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD SCSI CD Rom

On Tue, Apr 18, 2000 at 10:08:58AM -0400, mar28 wrote:
> Hi Mark, hope I am not being a bother but I see your name quite frequently
> in the FreeBSD usenet groups.

No problem, but you're better posting to -questions as you stand more
chance of finding a solution (-questions Cc:'d)

> Anyway, my question is:  I have  NEC 466
> SCSI cd-rom and I am not able to play audio cd's on FreeBSD 4.0-stable.  I
> have tried workman, and it appears to be playing the cd but there is no
> sound.  I am able to play mp3's no problem with xmms, though.  Any idea as
> to the problem?

Hmm, the obvious question is: have you got an audio cable between your
CD-ROM and soundcard. If so try:

       # mixer
       Mixer vol      is currently set to  77:77
       Mixer pcm      is currently set to  78:78
       Mixer speaker  is currently set to  80:80
       Mixer line     is currently set to  78:78
       Mixer mic      is currently set to   0:0
       Mixer cd       is currently set to  78:78
       Mixer rec      is currently set to   0:0
       Mixer line1    is currently set to  78:78
       Mixer video    is currently set to  78:78

and make sure that "vol" and "cd" are not 0:0 (``mixer vol 100'' to
change).

--
        ...and on the eighth day God created UNIX