Date:      Thu, 12 Sep 2002 14:51:06 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Dave Hayes <dave@jetcafe.org>
Cc:        "Neal E. Westfall" <nwestfal@directvinternet.com>, Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>, Joshua Lee <yid@softhome.net>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why did evolution fail?

Dave Hayes wrote:
> > Dave, the person who can predictively describe the universe as
> > a derivation of the least number of assumptions wins.
>
> Wins what?

Wins closer the truth.

> > Each assumption is a "deux ex machina", which you will not be
> > able to logically communicate to another person.
>
> This is also an assumption.

Gee, I guess I've failed to communicate it to you... I guess I
must be right... 8-).

> > You can only logically communicate information based on your set of
> > shared assumptions, or shared principles derived from those
> > assumptions, which fortuitously coincide.
>
> I don't agree that this is true, by my own observation. I continually
> manage to communicate information devoid of logic, berift of
> derivation, which has no real shared principle other than a set of
> agreed upon frequencies to use as raw materials.
>
> I play music.

Music is, at it's heart, mathematics.

> > This is the point you miss over and over again: it's possible
> > for an individual and the larger homogeneous society to have
> > irreconcilable differences, which may include continued
> > tolerance of each others existance.
>
> Big words and lofty notions of knowledge aside, this is really a
> simple matter. All I've ever asked is for people to show a little
> maturity when dealing with obvious trolls. Why does this incite a
> two-week+ thread which delves into PhD level mathematics?

Because it's an unreasonable request, and it takes that level of
effort to get to a point where you can't successfully dismiss the
arguments regarding the unreasonableness of the request.

> You go on and on about "prove this" or "demonstrate that" or even "the
> best answers are simple".
>
> But you never ever answer this original, simple, thought.

I have answered it many times.  But you don't value the
contributions of people like John Dyson or Loqui Chen or ...,
people who fall into the category of useful, but who you value
less than the trolls.

-- Terry