Date:      Fri, 16 Dec 2011 22:26:27 +0100
From:      Michel Talon <talon@lpthe.jussieu.fr>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@zedat.fu-berlin.de>
Subject:   Re: Benchmark (Phoronix): FreeBSD 9.0-RC2 vs. Oracle Linux 6.1

O Hartmann says:

> For the underlying OS, as far as I know, the compiler hasn't as much
> impact as on userland software since autovectorization and other neat
> things are not used during system build.
>=20
> =46rom my experience using gcc 4.2 or 4.4/4.5 does not have an impact
> beyond 3% when SSE isn't explicetly enforced.
>=20
> More interesting is the performance gain due to the architecture. I
> think it would be very easy for M. Larabel to repeat this benchmark =
with
> a "bleeding edge"  Ubuntu or Suse as well. And since FreeBSD 9.0 can =
be
> compiled with CLANG, it should be possible to compare both also with
> "bleeding edge" compilers, say FreeBSD 9/CLANG, Ubuntu 12/gcc 4.6.2.

My experience is that using gcc 4.6 gives *much* better performance than =
using the obsolete
gcc that is in FreeBSD and much better performance than clang. After all =
you have to pay the price=20
for stupidities such as being GPL free. Or you can see it otherwise, you =
can compete on the
most GPL free system, or the best working system.  As for the ZFS versus =
ext3 performance, here also
if you try to sell FreeBSD on features which are supposed to have =
extraordinary benefits don't be surprised=20
when testers use these features and find horrendous performance issues.

--

Michel Talon
talon@lpthe.jussieu.fr