Date:      Thu, 11 Sep 1997 09:18:34 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        jamil@counterintelligence.ml.org (Jamil J. Weatherbee)
Cc:        grog@lemis.com, dawes@rf900.physics.usyd.edu.au, asami@cs.berkeley.edu, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: My FreeBSD Wish List...

> I have worked extensively with some diskless freebsd & linux machines and
> a read only /usr is critical,

I happen to be one of those people who agree with this, mostly because
I want to ROM FreeBSD onto pen-based PDA's with IR or short range radio
links into a local net using SSL or IPv6 + DES.

Think about the waitress who comes to your table to take your order...

Among other things; there are a hell of a lot of uses for this; a
server for JAVA-chip based machines is another.

> diskless machines in /etc/exports to make the system so that only the
> machine which mounts its root directory has access to it you need at least
> 2* the amount of diskless mahcines which could be possibly in the order of
> 20-30 on a single two gig drive, meaning with the current nfs setup I need
> 40 filesystems (20 swap 64MB, 20 root 25MB) and I don't really think you
> can get that many filesystems on a single disk? (or does someone know
> something I don't)

Read the man page more carefully.  You can export subdirectories; an NFS
export cant cross a physical mount point, but multiple exports inferior
to a physical mount point are allowed.  If they weren't, Diskless and
Dataless Sun machines would have a hell of a time existing...

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.