Date:      Thu, 6 Feb 2003 02:59:33 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug Barton <DougB@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Alan Larson <larson@eng.paix.net>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: encryption export

On Wed, 5 Feb 2003, Alan Larson wrote:

>   I tried "security@freebsd.org", but apparently that doesn't work, there
> were no replies,

Not a valid assumption, sorry. :) See below.

>   I am looking to upgrade / install software in a system outside of the
> U.S.  As such am concerned about the encryption export restrictions.  I
> need to upgrade a FreeBSD system, and have procedures that will let me do
> a binary upgrade for that, but I need to know what must be done to move
> the software out of the U.S., and to work with it (remotely) once it is
> there.

You need to talk to a lawyer. We can't give, and you shouldn't be asking
for legal advice on an internet mailing list. The issues and variables are
simply too complex, and the risk to you is too great.

Good luck,

Doug

--

    If it's moving, encrypt it. If it's not moving, encrypt
      it till it moves, then encrypt it some more.