Date:      Wed, 16 Dec 1998 22:46:03 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        brian@Awfulhak.org (Brian Somers)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, y-nakaga@nwsl.mesh.ad.jp, mike@smith.net.au, wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu, nate@mt.sri.com, nathan@rtfm.net, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PAO Integration?

> [.....]
> > Try to name one ting that you could do with "config" that you could
> > not do with a sufficiently dynamic kernel loadable module framework.
> [.....]
>
> Is it possible to load ``n'' pseudo-devices (without teaching the
> driver to be dynamic enough to do it itself) ?  My kernel config says
> ``pseudo-device tun 300''....

Not without teaching the driver to do it itself, no.  That's basically
what a coning device driver is, is a driver that has been taught.

I think the correct approach is to use a clone device, but of course
if you put the constraint in that I can't use clone devices, then
yeah, static limits require static configuration.

You could get non-static fairly quickly by putting Julian's devfs
and slice code back in, but of course that'd be pretty politically
incorrect (regardless of technical merit).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.