Date:      Sat, 10 May 2014 13:50:00 -0700
From:      "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@tristatelogic.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   "Secure Boot" motherboards (to avoid)?

Please forgive what may perhaps be an FAQ, answered somewhere (but noplace
that I can find, apparently).

I'll be buying a new motherboard soon to replace the aging 6.5 year old
Gigabyte motherboard in my #2 "desktop" system.

For whatever new motherboard I buy, do I need to be on the lookout
for the possibility that it may incorporate some form of non-easily-
disablable UEFI/SecureBoot firmware that will prevent me from booting
anything other than Windoze?  Or is this generally a non-issue for
stand-alone (sold-alone) consumer motherboards?

P.S.  I don't know if this is relevant or not, but for the record, it is
my intention at the present time to *never* run Windows 8.anything.  I do
however use Windows 7 on occasion, and would almost certainly be using
that on this new system I'll be building... in addition to a variety of
other operating systems, including FreeBSD.  (Horray for cheap sATA
hot-swap racks!)