Date:      Thu, 7 Jun 2001 12:19:03 +0200
From:      Johann Visagie <johann@egenetics.com>
To:        Will Andrews <will@physics.purdue.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD Ports <ports@FreeBSD.org>, portmgr@casimir.physics.purdue.edu, bio@freebsd.net
Subject:   Re: biology/ && misc/ -> science/

Will Andrews on 2001-05-15 (Tue) at 13:32:50 -0500:

> I would like to move all non-biology-related science stuff from
> biology/* and misc/* to science/.  Basically everything that's physical
> science related that doesn't already have an appropriate category (e.g.
> biology or math).

Sorry for chiming in at this late stage - I'm only catching up on the ports
list now...

> The following repocopies are hence requested (sorry for long lines):

The following packages are purely of use to bioinformaticists and
computational biologists.  If we are to retain a "biology" category, I would
suggest that they stay there (along with other closely related packages such
as p5-bioperl and py-biopython):

> biology/emboss --> science/emboss: genetic sequence analysis
> biology/fasta --> science/fasta: A collection of programs for searching DNA and protein databases
> biology/fasta3 --> science/fasta3
> biology/fastdnaml --> science/fastdnaml: The faster variant of DNAML, makes phylogenetic trees using maximum likelihood
> biology/genpak --> science/genpak: small utilities to manipulate DNA sequences
> biology/p5-AcePerl --> science/p5-AcePerl: Perl5 interface to the ACEDB genome database system
> biology/paml --> science/paml: Phylogenetic Analysis by Maximum Likelihood (PAML)
> biology/phylip --> science/phylip: A Phylogeny Inference Package
> biology/seaview --> science/seaview: Multiple DNA sequence alignment editor
> biology/sim4 --> science/sim4: An algorithm for aligning expressed DNA with genomic sequences

(I'm the maintainer of some of the packages listed above, and others are
maintained by people on the unofficial freebsd-bio mailing list, so I have a
fair idea of how they're used.  :-)

Many of the molecular visualisation packages are highly adapted to organic
chemistry, and would therefore again only be of use to biochemists.  It may
make sense to keep them in "biology" as well.  This isn't my field, so I
can't say with authority which of the following packages fall into this
category.  I would suggest contacting (where possible) the maintainers...?

(If necessary, I can check with some of the biochemists who work with me as
well...)

> biology/babel --> science/babel: molecular file format conversion
> biology/deft --> science/deft: Density functional molecular orbital calculation
> biology/gaussian98 --> science/gaussian98: An ab-initio molecular orbital calculation program
> biology/kinemage --> science/kinemage: molecular visualization program
> biology/molden --> science/molden: Display molecular orbitals and electron densities in 2D and 3D
> biology/mopac --> science/mopac: Semi-empirical molecular orbital calculation
> biology/platon --> science/platon: Tool for viewing molecular/crystallographic structures
> biology/povchem --> science/povchem: Simple yet powerful tool to generate POV from a PDB file
> biology/psi88 --> science/psi88: Plotting wavefunctions (molecular orbitals) in 3D
> biology/rasmol --> science/rasmol: Fast Molecular Visualization Program
> biology/tinker --> science/tinker: A general purpose molecular modelling package

The follwing ones sound (to me) more like pure chemistry packages which may
make more sense under "science".  Again, I may be mistaken in some cases:

> biology/chemeq --> science/chemeq: chemical equation to LaTeX
> biology/gperiodic --> science/gperiodic: Displays a periodic table of the elements
> biology/xdrawchem --> science/xdrawchem: Chemical drawing program
> biology/xmolwt --> science/xmolwt: Calculate formula weight and percent of each element for a given formula
> misc/xgas --> science/xgas: chemical process

I suppose one will always run into problems and differences of opinion when
you start classifying things like these.  For instance, where do you classify
packages which are of exclusive use to biochemists?  After all, biochemistry
sits somewhere between biology and chemistry (though traditionally, I believe
academic biochemists probably feel they have more in common with biologists
than with anorganic chemists).

-- Johann