Date:      Wed, 18 Jul 2007 16:13:29 +1000
From:      Norberto Meijome <freebsd@meijome.net>
To:        Olivier Nicole <on@cs.ait.ac.th>
Cc:        zbigniew@szalbot.homedns.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: moving /home to new drive

On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 12:46:36 +0700 (ICT)
Olivier Nicole <on@cs.ait.ac.th> wrote:

> From: Olivier Nicole <on@cs.ait.ac.th>
> To: zbigniew@szalbot.homedns.org
> Cc: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
> Subject: Re: moving /home to new drive
> Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 12:46:36 +0700 (ICT)
> Sender: owner-freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
>
> > Or do I need to delete the
> > symlink first and only then try to mount the new drive as /home?
>
> - delete the symlink
> - create a directory /home
> - mount the new drive
> - copy the files

- verify the copy is successful
- mv /usr/home /usr/home_old

- create a symlink from /usr/home to /home - i DONT know whether this is necessary or not, but if you want to keep things as seamless as possible, you'd need it (i dont even know what is supposed to be the real path - i thought /usr/home was the real thing and /home just a shortcut).

- test /home
- when happy, delete /usr/home_old (else you wont have made any room in the other drive ;)

BTW, why not just

- mv /usr/home /usr/home_old
- mkdir /home
- mount [new_drive] /home
- copy -r /usr/home_old/* /usr/home/  ( make sure you use an appropriate command for copying the data - cp does not handle special files correctly - check the archives for discussions on this subject).

- test and deleted old copy ?

{Beto|Norberto|Numard} Meijome

Which is worse: ignorance or apathy?
Don't know. Don't care.