Date:      Tue, 02 Jul 96 10:57:04 PST
From:      "Brett Glass" <Brett_Glass@ccgate.infoworld.com>
To:        Thomas J Balfe <tbalfe@tioga.com>, jparnas@jparnas.cybercom.net
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Micropolis

> I don't think it was a heat problem, I think it's a quality control
> problem on the part of Micropolis. (read: junk).

These days, hard drive manufacturers are FORCED to produce junk, because
unknowledgeable consumers don't understand what a hard drive is -- much
less how to judge its quality. All they know is that they want a low price.

Maxtor has suffered of late because it tried to produce high-quality
drives. OEMs wouldn't buy them because they cost a tiny bit more.