Date:      Tue, 28 Mar 2000 14:49:14 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        "Andrew J. Gregorowicz" <gregoroa@enc.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Trouble booting after install on ATA66

"Andrew J. Gregorowicz" wrote:

> Hello,
> I am currently trying to install FreeBSD 4.0 on my homebrew machine
> which has an ABit BE6 motherboard and my only harddrive is a Quantum
> Fireball Plus-KA 13G ATA/66.
> I boot from CD and partition my drive (FreeBSD will co-exist with
> WIn98.) I then let the BootMgr take everything over. I proceed with the
> rest of the install (install basic software, configure X, etc...) I then
> conclude the install and reboot.

It sounds like you have your / partition in the wrong place. It can't
be above cylinder 1023, which works out to be ~8.4GB. I have a 2GB fat
and then a 13GB Freebsd slice. My / partition is the first in the
FreeBSD slice. It boots just fine.

Kent

> When I reboot, I get the following menu:
>
> --------
>
> F1: DOS
> F3: FreeBSD
> Default: F1
>
> --------
>
> When I try to press F3 my system will simply produce a beep from the pc
> speaker. Yet if I press F1 the system will immediatly boot into Windows.
> Anyone have any clues on what I am doing wrong, or what I could do to
> get into FreeBSD.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Andy
> gregoroa@enc.edu

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kstewart@3-cities.com

SETI(Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence) @ HOME
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/

Hunting Archibald Stewart, b 1802 in Ballymena, Antrim Co., NIR
http://www.3-cities.com/~kstewart/genealogy/archibald_stewart.html