Date:      Wed, 22 Nov 2000 09:50:10 +0100
From:      Cejka Rudolf <cejkar@dcse.fee.vutbr.cz>
To:        Charles Henrich <henrich@sigbus.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DES Passwords on 4.1.1?

Charles Henrich wrote (2000/11/21):
> That didnt seem to do it, im running yppasswd to set the accounts and on any
> 4.1.1 machines it sets it as the MD5 password, if I do it on any older FreeBSD
> boxes it works as expected.  This is becoming a nightmare as we have
> non-FreeBSD boxes accessing the same YP server and its breaking logins for us
> :(  Any other ideas?

According to sources and recent discussion in freebsd-stable (subject is
"Hmm..passwords."), it should work for both passwd and yppasswd.
Maybe you can ask here - there was bigger discussion about that.

Example of passwd_format usage in login.conf is
commited in -stable now.

Is passwd_format=des on all NIS FreeBSD > 4.1.1 machines? It has
to be workstations, where passwords are changed, not servers.
Is yppasswd/passwd binary really from FreeBSD 4.1.1?
If you mean that yppasswd uses md5, but passwd des, it has
to be bug. However source code looks well (we do not have NIS
anymore and local passwords work as expected).

--
Rudolf Cejka   (cejkar@dcse.fee.vutbr.cz;  http://www.fee.vutbr.cz/~cejkar)
Brno University of Technology, Faculty of El. Engineering and Comp. Science