Date:      Thu, 6 Mar 2003 20:14:08 +0100
From:      Anders Nordby <anders@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Adam <blueeskimo@gmx.net>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problem with FreeBSD port of Gringotts

Hi,

On Thu, Mar 06, 2003 at 11:39:03AM -0500, Adam wrote:
> -$ gringotts
> (process:61927): gringotts-CRITICAL **: Cannot drop root privileges.
> Someone is hacking this process. I cannot go on
>
> -$ sudo gringotts
> (process:61925): gringotts-CRITICAL **: For security reasons, you cannot
> run Gringotts as root. Try using -s
>

> Anyone else had this problem with Gringotts? I'm able to start it as
> root if I use -s, but I really don't think this is a very good idea (I
> try to run as few things as possible as root).
>
> For more info on Gringotts:
> http://devel.pluto.linux.it/projects/Gringotts/index.php?page=home

Did you build gringotts from ports? Do you have ports/files/patch-grg_safe.c?
What version of gringotts do you have? How about you try to delete your
ports tree and re-cvsup it.

I'm unable to reproduce this. The patch patch-grg_safe.c takes care of
this issue, and it's been in the tree since the port was added. Oh, and,
you're not supposed to run gringotts as root. :)

Cheers,

--
Anders.