Date:      Fri, 27 Feb 1998 00:41:04 +0100
From:      sthaug@nethelp.no
To:        dlittell@onramp.net
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Token Ring for FreeBSD yet?

> > Sorry, it's not that simple. On a token ring network, tokens can get lost.
> > Yes, this happens in real life. So any "guarantee" that you give for token
> > ring networks is based on statistics.
>
> Yeah, it really is that simple.  Token loss recovery time has an upper
> bound

Yes. So does the waiting time for Ethernet with maximum number of
collisions (367 ms).

Think about what happens: In *both* cases higher protocol layers will
most likely see a timeout and perform a retransmit in software. Thus,
either they are both deterministic (time to transmit has an upper bound),
or neither of them are.

> and token ring-based networks degrade gracefully, ensuring some
> non-zero throughput even at 100% offered load.  I believe there are
> meltdown scenarios in Ethernet that guarantee you'll never get anything
> out.

The "meltdown scenarios" are as far as I know based on infinite number of
stations, which is specifically disallowed by the Ethernet rules. There
is a *reason* for the limit of maximum 1024 stations per collision domain
- it is precisely to avoid such a meltdown.

The "meltdown scenarios" have been debunked both by theory and practical
measurements by now. There is no reason to drag them out again.