Date:      Wed, 4 Mar 1998 05:34:16 -0500
From:      MALCOLM BOFF <Malcolm_Boff@compuserve.com>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: panic : cannot mount root

Thanks Doug, this particular email should not have been resent but my
Compuserve eMail suddenly decided to ignore deleted items and put
back into my outgoing mail a whole heap of stuff that it then
re-transmitted.

I managed within a couple of hours to get back in with the previous kernel
so I could have a look at what I had buttoned out in the kernel config.
Argh! I had commented out 'ahc0' the SCSI controller, I put this back in
re-configured and all was well.

I then posted the forum that all was well now and to ignore this item.

Briefly (and you will probably not remember this judging by the amount of
time you spend helping the community) you responded several months
ago on a problem trying to get X-Windows configured such that I could get
a stable screen. I last week re-visited 'www.xfree86.org' and found that
there is now a new Generic list (with signal timings and VESA entries)
within 1/2hr I managed to get everything working with 3 resolutions and
full
colour, a bit of tweaking with 'xvidtune' and everything up and running.

I add this for the benefit of anyone who is having a problem as I had as it
is well worth a visit there as things have improved dramatically since my
earlier visits.

Malcolm G. Boff
Sylmex Ltd.