Date:      Tue, 18 Jul 2000 12:25:29 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "ECKHERT,MARC JUSTIN" <meckhert@ucla.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Starting and stopping daemons

I have a question about how to start and stop daemons.  I have been using
Redhat Linux for a long time now, and have become familiar with the System
V type initilization, where I can tyep /etc/rc.d/init.d/sendmail stop in
order to stop a process, and /etc/rc.d/init.d/sendmail start to start it
again.  What is the simplest way to start and stop daemons that are not
controlled by inetd?  Do I have to explicitly invoke each daemon, like
sendmail -bd if I want to start it, and then hunt down the PID and use a
kill command in order to kill it? I have found very little documentation
on this so far, so any help would be much appreciated.

Marc