Date:      Mon, 26 Jun 2000 15:58:22 +0200
From:      Dave Boers <djb@ifa.au.dk>
To:        Pete Fritchman <petef@databits.net>
Cc:        Sean O'Connell <sean@stat.Duke.EDU>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: lockups

On Thu, Jun 22, 2000 at 11:39:47AM -0500, Pete Fritchman wrote:
> If it's up long enough, pretty high load.   Once people get a chance to
> get their processes back up, around 400-500 processes.  The machine can
> handle this though, it's a dual 550 MHz, with 768 MB ram.

Is the machine by any chance an Abit BP6 with dual Celeron's?

I recently solved my lockups (check the archives, also in the -smp
list, for details) by slightly increasing the processor voltage. The
machine was not overclocked, but it would crash at irregular intervals,
with an average uptime of about 1 week. The lockups I got sound exactly the
same as the ones you describe: not even Ctrl-Alt-Esc works.

I increased the processor voltage from 2.00 to 2.05 volts in the bios and
the problem has gone away. The Abit BP6 mainboards have a history of power
stabilization problems.

    Hope this helps,

	Dave Boers.

--
   djb@ifa.au.dk                              d.j.boers@tn.utwente.nl
   PGP Key:   ftp://relativity.student.utwente.nl/pub/pgpkeys/djb.asc