Date:      Sat, 23 Mar 2002 17:22:47 +0900 (JST)
From:      Tod McQuillin <devin@spamcop.net>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?S=F8ren_Schmidt?= <sos@freebsd.dk>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: MFC of ATA driver from -current finished, please test..

On Mon, 18 Mar 2002, Søren Schmidt wrote:

> Please let me know asap if you encounter any (new) problems with the
> ATA driver after this commit.

I have a Digital Celebris 6200 (PPro 200MHz) with an Orinoco isa<->pcmcia
bridge and an Orinoco 802.11b card.

Using STABLE before the new ATA driver was committed the ata controller
was probed like this:

atapci0: <Intel PIIX3 ATA controller> port 0xecd0-0xecdf at device 7.1 on pci0
ata0: at 0x1f0 irq 14 on atapci0
ata0-master: DMA limited to UDMA33, non-ATA66 compliant cable
ad0: 76319MB <ST380021A> [155061/16/63] at ata0-master WDMA2
acd0: CDROM <TOSHIBA CD-ROM XM-5602B> at ata0-slave using PIO3

Usinng the new driver it is probed like this:

atapci0: <Intel PIIX3 ATA controller> port 0xecd0-0xecdf at device 7.1 on pci0
ata0: at 0x1f0 irq 14 on atapci0
ata1: at 0x170 irq 15 on atapci0
ad0: 76319MB <ST380021A> [155061/16/63] at ata0-master WDMA2
acd0: CDROM <TOSHIBA CD-ROM XM-5602B> at ata0-slave PIO3

I have no devices on ata1 and before the new ata driver I was not even
aware that it existed.  Up until now I have been happily using irq 15 for
wi0 (the Orinoco card).

With the new driver probing ata1 at irq15, pccardd will not use the wi
card, complaining "Failed to allocate IRQ for Lucent Technologies".

If I run "atacontrol detach 1", then pccardd will allocate IRQ 15 for wi0
and everything works as before.

Now I have added "atacontrol detach 1" in /etc/rc.pccard right before the
"pccardc pccardmem" command, and the system boots up with wi0 and
everything works fine.

My questions are,

1) Is this the way it's supposed to work?

2) Is there any way to disable probing of ata1 at boot time?  (My bios
setup did not seem to provide any explicit way of disabling it)

3) Does my workaround of running "atacontrol detach 1" from rc.pccard seem
like a reasonable workaround?

4) If the answer to 2 is no and the answer to 3 is yes, should this be
made configurable via a variable in rc.conf?

Thanks,
--
Tod McQuillin