Date:      Wed, 4 Mar 1998 10:40:10 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith)
Cc:        sthaug@nethelp.no, dannyman@sasquatch.dannyland.org, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Fund

> > I wish somebody would think seriously about that. It would be *far* easier
> > for me to donate money using my VISA card than with a check. (Not to mention
> > the fact that the fee for a $25 check in the bank here is not much smaller
> > than the value of the check itself...)
>
> Try a postal money order.
>
> Seriously, accepting credit card donations is expensive work.  Aside
> from the 5% cut that the bank gets, you have to treat the money like
> it's on elastic.

As a ``merchant'' whos does ~$20,000k/month in Visa/Mastercard I can
correct some of this.  First the rates are 1.85 to 3.5% depending on
type(Visa/MC/American Express/Etc), size(lots of small ones cost more
than a few large ones) and style(Card in Hand Swiped/Card in Hand Inprinted,
Phoned in number, Internet secure transaction, etc) of transaction.

> And unless you have someone else handling it for you, you won't get a
> bank's attention until you're talking in six figures a year.

If your bank won't listen to you at 5 figures a year find another bank...
smaller banks are much easier and far more flexiable in doing business

Accurate Automation, Inc.                   Reliable computers for FreeBSD