Date:      Sat, 30 Mar 1996 15:07:49 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@Glue.umd.edu>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   using LKMs

I am trying (with Rich Murphey) to write up my experiences getting
Mathematica going on FreeBSD, but I have a problem, so I want to get it
whipped before I release a possibly flawed document.

My problem is with Linux compatiblity.  I can get it working fine when I
compile options "LINUX" into my kernel, but I can't get it (linux
compatibility) to work as an lkm.  Every time I try it, I get a panic, so
I want to get that part fixed.

I run -current, and just did a fresh make world.  I checked, and a new
linux_mod.o is sitting in /lkm.  I took the options "LINUX" out of my
kernel config' but kept in the options "COMPAT_LINUX".  I edited my
rc.local at the the end of the file, where it says to add local
modifications, adding the line "linux", and a message showed up on boot
saying I'd loaded linux compatibility.  I checked this with modstat, and
it agreed.

OK, I went and tried to start the Mathematica X11 Front end, and BAM,
instant panic.  Recovering, I tried again, this time with a really simple
linux executeable the Mathematica uses to ID the machine, called mathid.
Same result, instant panic.

I'm willing to experiment, anyone got any idea what I did wrong?

Chuck Robey chuckr@eng.umd.edu, I run FreeBSD-current on n3lxx + Journey2

Three Accounts for the Super-users in the sky,
  Seven for the Operators in their halls of fame,
Nine for Ordinary Users doomed to crie,
  One for the Illegal Cracker with his evil game
In the Domains of Internet where the data lie.
  One Account to rule them all, One Account to watch them,
  One Account to make them all and in the network bind them.