Date:      Mon, 24 Jul 2000 22:32:38 -0500
From:      Stephen Montgomery-Smith <stephen@math.missouri.edu>
To:        Mike Hoskins <mike@adept.org>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems with natd and simple firewall

Mike Hoskins wrote:

> As for a dynamic rule...  I have the following setup:
>
> divert 8668 ip from any to any via oif
> allow ip from any to any via lo0
> deny ip from any to 127.0.0.0/8
> # specific deny/logs to monitor port scans/etc
> check-state
> allow ip from oip to any keep-state
> allow ip from inw to any keep-state
> # specific allows i want
> deny ip from any to any

I read the ipfw man page, and it is so terse on this subject
that I cannot understand it.  Like many man pages, it gives
a lot of details, but does not provide the overall picture.

If anyone could tell me the overall picture of what dynamic rules
are about - give me a start and a context so that the man page
makes sense, I would really appreciate it.

--
Stephen Montgomery-Smith
Department of Mathematics, University of Missouri, Columbia, MO 65211