Date:      Mon, 27 Mar 2000 15:09:27 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Mark W. Krentel" <krentel@dreamscape.com>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Cc:        kwc@world.std.com
Subject:   Re: ext2fs optional features

> Hmmm, which distribution/kernel version?

For me, Red Hat 6.1 and kernel 2.2.12, but you'll get the same answer
with Slackware 7.  The key attributes are:

   Filesystem revision #:    1 (dynamic)
   Filesystem features:      sparse_super

You'll need a filesystem without sparse_super and probably revision 0.

> Is there a way, perhaps in Linux with its tunefs, to adjust or
> "turn off" those "optional features" (other things too?) in such
> a way that FreeBSD's ext2 support will work?

As a workaround, you can boot a Linux live filesystem or rescue disk
and manually run mke2fs as:

   # mke2fs -r0 -s0 /dev/whatever

Then reinstall Linux, telling it to NOT reformat the partitions.  Of
course, this will erase any data on the partition, so you'll have to
either dump or tar the filesystem or else reinstall from scratch.  I
don't think you can turn off these features without remaking the
partition.

But I think the real answer to Kenneth's and my question is that Freebsd
doesn't support these optional features and isn't likely to in the
near future.  Can anyone offer a more optimistic outlook?

--Mark Krentel