Date:      Thu, 08 Aug 1996 14:11:22 -0700
From:      Scott Blachowicz <scott@statsci.com>
To:        "M.R.Murphy" <mrm@mole.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org, terryl@ienet.com
Subject:   Re: IDE or SCSI if only one drive

"M.R.Murphy" <mrm@Mole.ORG> wrote:

> Lately, however, I've obtained quite acceptable performance from
> fast IDE drives with fast CPU's (486DX4/120 and up). It seems that
> the CPU gets the tranfer done quickly enough to not make the user
> responsiveness of the system too sluggish. Not too sluggish for
> me, that is. That wasn't the case with slower CPU's. IDE's cheaper,
> though perhaps not appreciably. YMMV, try both.

"not appreciably"?  I've been looking for a 2Gb disk lately and I've been
seeing IDE 2Gb drives around $300 and the cheapest I've seen for a SCSI 2Gb
drive has been around $450.  I'd rather have the SCSI drive, but I don't have
that kind of budget.

> This is normally when the "SCSI is much better" argument starts.
> It is. Don't shoot.

I agree...I think.

Scott Blachowicz  Ph: 206/283-8802x240   Mathsoft (Data Analysis Products Div)
                                         1700 Westlake Ave N #500
scott@statsci.com                        Seattle, WA USA   98109
Scott.Blachowicz@seaslug.org