Date:      Thu, 12 Sep 2002 14:59:01 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Dave Hayes <dave@jetcafe.org>
Cc:        "Neal E. Westfall" <nwestfal@directvinternet.com>, Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>, Joshua Lee <yid@softhome.net>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why did evolution fail?

Dave Hayes wrote:
> > Life is a local increase in order, by definition.
>
> I don't know about that, I've seen the floor of a stock exchange or
> a busy park with lots of kids. That doesn't look like order to me.

The stock market is not alive, the people are.

> >> ...using your particular arbitrary set of presumptions as
> >> axioms. ;)
> >
> > Don't worry; my presumtions are a subset of nearly everyone's.
>
> Never mind that verifying this is close to impossible, would you
> like to tell me just how you learned everyone's presumptions without
> first making a bunch of your own? ;)

I didn't make a generalization, so your statement is incorrect.  Note
the use of "nearly".

> > It makes me incredibly tolerant,
>
> This is wrong by observation. You aren't tolerant of trolls. A
> truly incredible tolerant person would be. QED. |)

I haven't hunted them down and dealt with them.  I think that
it demonstrates incredible tolerance, to not act when one can.

> > and much easier to convince by way of logical argument.
>
> Oh I doubt that highly.

How would you know, since you haven't really tried any?

> > Even if, like you, you pretend to irrationality to try and expand
> > the set of allowable behaviours as a governance of our own internal
> > rules.
>
> I don't pretend to it. I know it, and it's inverse. I use whichever
> one is appropriate at the time.

You act like Gregory Benford's "Changeling" character in
the book "Find The Changeling".  His portrayal of that character
was juvenile, in that the character was supposed to be asocial,
but ended up being nothing more than merely contrarian.

-- Terry