Date:      Sat, 24 Aug 1996 19:27:01 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Cord Ellis <cord@neosoft.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ATAPI Sorry

On Sat, 24 Aug 1996, Cord Ellis wrote:

> 	After an undesirable DOS install I can rebuild my GENERIC kernel after
> adding a mere 2 lines, and deleting mcd, scd, etc other cd's and become
> able to mount my wcd0. Am I daft or isn't wcd the ATAPI cd whereas mcd,
> etc are proprietary IDE's, and if so why wasn't ATAPI and wcd0 included
> in the atapiflp.bat routine so that ATAPI cd's could be used for
> installation?

GENERIC isn't 'ATAPI-enabled' due to the quality of the code in question.
It's very painless to ATAPI-enable it as you found.  99% of the population
should build a custom kernel for their system, adding needed devices while
removing unneeded ones.  Running GENERIC adds quite a bit of bloat to the
kernel.

2.1.5 doesn't have an atapi.flp because the default boot.flp is already
ATAPI-enabled.

> 	Is the 2.1.5 ATAPI install any different, or is adding 2 lines to the
> ATAPI kernel 2 much to ask to put this issue 2 bed? 8-)

I think there was some question that the ATAPI code may potentially screw
up the IDE disk detection (and the detection of other devices).