Date:      Sun, 08 Sep 2002 18:47:54 -0700
From:      Dave Hayes <dave@jetcafe.org>
To:        "Neal E. Westfall" <nwestfal@directvinternet.com>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why did evolution fail?

Neal E Westfall <nwestfal@directvinternet.com> writes:
>> "Neal E. Westfall" wrote:
>> > Who is second-guessing the scientific method?  I happen to think it works
>> > quite well, when allowed to truly work.  Problem with evolution is that,
>> > almost 150 years later, it is no more closer to being empirically verified
>> > than it was in 1859.  So lets drop it and get on with something else
>> > already.
>>
>> The scientific method never verifies, it only falsifies, so asking
>> that something be empirically verified, whether it be the old theory
>> of evolution, the current theory of puctuated equilibria, or that
>> gravity is related to the curvature of space, is asking for the
>> impossible.  Science can only demonstrate the invalidity of ideas,
>> not their validity.
>
> Okay, then lets stop pretending that creation is "unscientific" while
> evolution is "scientific".  Neither one of them can be falsified, so
> either *both* of them are scientific, or neither of them are.

The point is missed that perhaps *both* are right. It is not far
afield to consider that God created the notion of evolution and this
process is how He made the world.

> I don't know if you realize it or not, but here in California if
> you try to teach a theory of origins other than evolution, you
> *will* be fired.  So what happended to all the "open-minded"
> attitudes and academic freedom?

You aren't going to get him on this. He's just going to claim that
administrators and lawmakers are not Real Scientists".
------
Dave Hayes - Consultant - Altadena CA, USA - dave@jetcafe.org

It is difficult to believe that someone can differ from us
and be right.