Date:      Sat, 08 Dec 2007 15:42:15 +0100
From:      Uwe Doering <gemini@geminix.org>
To:        Andreas Pettersson <andpet@telia.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, kometen@gmail.com
Subject:   Re: Also seeing 2 x quad-core system slower that 2 x dual core

Andreas Pettersson wrote:
> Claus Guttesen wrote:
>> could either replace my 10K rpm drives (in raid 1+0) with 15K ditto
>> which would require a downtime which we could not afford at this tim
>
> I have several times successfully upgraded mirrored volumes with new
> disks without any downtime at all. Just change one disk, let the mirror
> rebuild, change the other disk, wait for rebuild again, tell the logical
> drive to present all the new space and then extend the filesystem. No
> downtime.

Just an additional hint: Before you start doing this procedure, in order
to minimize risk you may want to do a verification/repair run over the
original mirror (if your controller supports this) to make sure that
both disks are in sync and there are no defective sectors on the disk
you are subsequently copying the data from.  Otherwise there could be
some rude awakening ...

Regards,

    Uwe
--
Uwe Doering         |  EscapeBox - Managed On-Demand UNIX Servers
gemini@geminix.org  |  http://www.escapebox.net