Date:      Thu, 19 Sep 1996 08:17:13 -0400
From:      Gary Chrysler <tcg@ime.net>
To:        moos@degnet.baynet.de
Cc:        Benjamin Lewis <blewis@vet.purdue.edu>, FreeBSD-questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Quick Question

Darius Moos wrote:

> Yes you are right ... BUT this security-hole only occures if you are a
> lazy administrator (sorry, i do NOT want to say you are a lazy).
> I would never ever execute files as root that belong to other users.
> Doing so is really a security-hole. The administrator has always a
> simple user-account to play around in the system. It would be my
> fault when i'm executing unknown programms as root. When i could not
> resist, i'd do it as the unprivileged user.
> The other point is that IMHO adding "." to the end of the PATH-variable
> is harmless. Assume i had a user who wrote a little programm that is
> able to crash my system and names it "mv"; he saves it to his home-
> directory and i as root are staying in his home-directory. Even when
> i type "mv ..." the right thing would happen: "/bin/mv ..." would
> be executed and NOT "<home-of-evil-user>/mv ...".
> The other way, when "." is the first thing in the PATH, this would be
> a security-hole introduced by the administrator.
> Maybe i got something wrong ???
>
> Darius Moos.

Sorry I don't buy this LAZY admin stuff!!
We all get busy (in a hurry) and forget the little things!
Having to type ./ to execute a currentdir prog makes you
stop and think!

IMHO lazy people have '.' in thier path!
(No discredit to anyone, It's yur choice)

But yes, If it's the last thing in your path it is safer!
Still not worth it to most!

--
-Enjoy
Gary