Date:      Mon, 01 Jun 1998 23:08:47 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: router performance

--------------25D0B2508EA9A91761F23C4F

Date: Mon, 01 Jun 1998 23:07:50 -0600
From: Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To: Tim Tsai <tim@futuresouth.com>

Tim Tsai wrote:

> Can I expect a FreeBSD-based router (say, Pentium Pro 180 with 64-128megs
> of RAM) to do the following reasonably well?
>
> 1) Route 2-4 T1's worth of traffic (judging from the recent fastforward
> thread I don't think this is a problem)
> 2) run BGP
> 3) do *extensive* inbound packet filtering (anti-spoofing, no
> broadcasts, etc.).
> 4) talk to the rest of the LAN through an ethernet interface
>
> Our Cisco 3640 with a Mips R4700/100Mhz is choking routinely with two
> T1's during periods of DoS attacks.  It's quite capable of routing the
> traffic but the packet filtering is eating up all the CPU.  Throw in ip
> accounting (which is only needed *during* an attack) and you can forget
> about any response.

One of the nice benefits of using FreeBSD for such a system is the
scalability.  If one single FreeBSD system doesn't cut it, you could
use 5 of them.  Put one on each T1 doing packet filtering/firewalling,
routing to ethernet.  Then use another system to route between the
4 "external" ethernets and your internet network.

Actually, you should be able to do all of the above on a single Pentium-
class system of 200 Mhz or so *when NOT under attack.*  If you're looking
at new hardware, a K6/233 (or so) should fit the bill nicely.